Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Liberating Paralysis

After weeks of EXTREMELY limited Internet access (and no end in sight by the way...this is borrowed time here), I've come to the conclusion that not being able to go online whenever I want to has a definite two-faced nature. Having to borrow your parent's computer to pay bills feels like a giant step backwards when you've been living on your own for more than 15 years. Realizing that I have come to rely on constant Internet access to check on movie times, renew my library books, look up recipes, or help my son research his scout project does not mean I've forgotten how to do these things the old fashioned way. I just don't WANT to. It's maddening. Inconvenient. Highly frustrating.

And yet...I don't feel the pull of my email saying, "Check me now, it's been 30 minutes" all day long. I'm not spending 5--um, make that 35--minutes playing the addicting word game on Facebook. I'm not (clearly) taking time to update my blog or get lost in someone else's. And when I do obtain a precious few minutes of access to the virtual world (current posting excluded), it is focused, productive, and to the point. Pay bills. Check email. Log out. In fact, because I haven't been sidetracked by the Internet Black Hole, I've actually had time to read four of the five books that I selected off the library shelves. And now, my current access has reached its end...to be renewed who knows when...I'm off to the fifth book.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Make the 6th Blue Like Jazz. I'm loving it. High-sterical and still a teller of the truth. It's great. Chapters like, "living with freaks", "the birt of cool", and "the sexy carrots".
As far a your paralysis, I'm snorting enough cyberspace time to keep me and you high these days. I got ya covered.

Amy said...

SHAME ON YOU!
Get on with it. Your legs are not broken, and neither is your keyboard or computer.

Breath in the sweet cyber air. It's almost like the real thing. Go on, in and out. Good, now, fingers on the keyboard...

Amy said...

OMG

Amy said...

I'm talking to myself... on your blog.