Via a coffee mug no less. At first he said, "Buy me." I resisted. Then he said, "Your son will enjoy me." I actually picked him up. In the explosive seasonal aisle of Target I seriously contemplated purchasing a Darth Vader coffee mug full of Hershey Kisses for $5.49.
Then oh so subtly I heard, "Come to the dark side." I put him back. Visions of my son's face smiling at the surprise were quickly checked by the visions of me only allowing him to eat a few pieces of the candy before the rest would be thrown into our candy bin (still ridiculous from Halloween). Visions of me wondering where in my cupboard would I really want to store an awkward shaped coffee mug. Visions of the coffee mug either being broken or never used (both highly likely scenarios). Visions of the numerous toys and pleasures and indulgences my children already have that it seems they would enjoy more time with. Visions of being choked by this need we feel to participate in what our society has told us everyone else does. So I put him back.
And then and there I decided not to buy anything for my children for Valentine's Day. I decided instead to give my kids coupons for bonus time with the things they already love to do...an extra session on the Wii...15 more minutes of reading at bedtime...an uninterrupted game of Star Wars Monopoly. For Valentine's Day this year, we will be doing what we love with the people we love, at no extra cost. So thank you, Darth Vader. For reminding me of the dark side that is out there and that I have the force to resist it.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
You have the wisdom of Yoda, young Jedi.
Post a Comment