Saturday, April 25, 2009

Weeds, Anyone?


I am chuckling to myself as I glance out my kitchen door to see my youngest sitting at a kid-sized table on our driveway. His brother carried the table upstairs from our basement, and they have set it up to attract customers.

A month ago we arrived at our bus stop to find flyers posted by a young neighbor for her pet-walking business. Ever since then my two boys have been scheming for possible enterprises. After realizing the potential value of young entrepreneurs (and that this desire of theirs was not going away!), we have authorized the establishment of their weed-pulling business. Literally every morning this week has had at least one discussion regarding their advertising, prices, or some element of their business. I put them to the test on Wednesday and was actually pleased with the results. They worked steadily and nicely together for almost an hour (without anyone getting hurt!) and did a fairly good job at pulling my weeds.

So this morning they FINALLY were able to post their flyer on the light post by our bus stop. That was about an hour ago. Now I am chuckling again, knowing that my little one is still sitting at the table where he keeps putting the phone to his ear to check for any incoming calls. I keep telling them to go ahead and play, that it may take a while for the business to draw any customers, but they are too excited to play.

My oldest just walked in asking for a box they can use to collect their money. Looks like it's time for another business meeting.

1 comment:

Amy said...

THAT, is too precious. too sweet.
I would pay them to pull my weeds... if not for a couple of complications-
1. 2000 miles
2. No weeds. No, not because we live in the desert. Because after a "pain and suffering" punishment for our 2 darlings we no longer have weeds.

Got to hear a Family and Child therapist speak on Monday night regarding the brain development of an adolescent - ENLIGHTening!!! I'll try to pass on at least a couple of her AWEsome tips to dealing with kids - but the one related to today was a "pain and suffering" punishment. If they cause you or members of your family pain and suffering (by spouting off the whole car ride home, arguing and nitpicking their siblings, taking out their frustrations on innocent members of the family, etc.) then they have caused you pain and suffering. As the parent, you in return, provide them a pain and suffering punishment to compensate for the p&s they caused you.
Brilliant!
Let me know.
Our girls pulled weeds.